Existing cyclists or people who ride bikes please return to your respective holding pens and await the results. (or make yourself useful and go find a friend to take the test)
Dear Mr . or Mrs. Average you have 5 minutes to examine the attached imagery and complete the test.
Please examine the image above & take in the following scenario:
- It is a pleasant February evening
- Visibility is good & traffic is relatively light.
- The image shows an AC 100/4 Terex Demag - 4-axle mobile crane, weighing in excess of 30 tonnes & travelling at approx. 20mph
- The vehicle in question is being driven very professionally & will take great care when overtaking cyclists
- This is the most direct route available to your destination consisting of a mixture of 40mph and 30mph roads.
If at any point in the future you decide you would like to take up cycling to work (or even the shops, a local restuarant or do the school run) - Would you:
A: Prefer continuous Dutch style segregated infrastructure on all A-roads so that your interaction with vehicles such as this is thoroughly minimised.
B: Prefer to cycle 'vehiculary' amongst traffic bearing in mind that you are statistically very safe indeed & of course the driver of this vehicle is exceptionally mindful of your presence.
Test ends. Pens down. Hand in your papers in the comments section below.